Solar Hot Water System sizing
- The most significant factor in determining the appropriate size of solar hot water system for your needs is the average amount of hot water your household consumes per day.
Methods to determine the daily amount of Hot Water your household uses (from most accurate to least accurate)
- 2. Have a hot water meter installed
- 3. Use a Hot Water Usage Calculator tool
- 4. Use your water bill to estimate usage
- 5. Estimate 60 liters of hot water per day per person.
The following guidelines can be used to determine system sizing:
- 1 Collector: 0 - 150 liters per day (1-3 person household)
- 2 Collectors: 150 - 350 liters/day (3-6 person household)
- 3 Collectors: 350 - 550 liters/day (6 or more people)
- 4 Collectors: 550 - 800 liters/day water usage
- Larger systems are available.
In addition to daily water usage the following will all contribute to the optimum system configuration for your household:
- Amount of sunlight available to your collectors
- Tilt and orientation of roof, or mounting location
- Space available to mount collectors
- Predicted change in hot water usage over short to medium term
Contact us for help determining your daily water usage or detailed savings analysis specific to your location.